Community Strength and Balance Programme Update
Have you tried a local Community Strength and Balance class yet?
Community Strength & Balance classes are now available in many locations around Taranaki including Urenui, Waitara, Inglewood, New Plymouth, Oakura, Opunake, Stratford, Eltham, Hawera, Patea and Waverley.
These classes are approved to be safe, fun and effective at improving your strength and balance to prevent falls.
These classes are usually 45- 60 mins long and cost no more than $5. They include circuit classes, Tai Chi, movement to music and more so there is something for everyone. We are always on the look out for new locations or modalities to appeal to a wider group.
Coming together in a group for movement classes has a lot of physical benefits including improved strength, balance, fitness, mobility and some health markers. It can also be a great way to get out and meet new friends, an opportunity for social interaction and to chat with other likeminded people. Exercising and being around others can positively impact your mental health as well, improving moods and decreasing stress.
In a recent survey we asked class participants about some of the benefits they get from coming along; below are some of their responses
- It helps me avoid feeling isolated and lonely – I look forward to my outings on Tuesdays
- Im unable to afford a gym, this helps my health and fitness
- My health has improved
- Ive been coming 10 years since a green prescription for anxiety and depression. This class helped, everyone was friendly
- It’s Fun – extends my brain
- Helps my health and mobility so I avoid going to the hospital
- Ive been coming since 1992, im now 92 and no one believes me, I still walk to class!
- Great variety of options, anyone is welcome and fits in, it’s a friendly group.
- The stadium is a large space with easy parking, for us all
- Since coming for a few months I am now able to put my shorts etc on standing up on my own!
- Helps to keep me strong, helps my balance too so i avoid falling
- One gentleman who is no longer with us – said after a severe stroke that his half an hour at class was the only time he felt ‘normal’
Want to know more about the programme, and find a class near you?
- For a list of classes check out Sport Taranaki's page on their website
- For more information, contact Sport Taranaki's Community Strength and Balance Coordinator HIlary Blackstock here
- Print off the voucher below and get your first class free!