Alcohol Related Harm:
A few facts to think about:
- New Zealanders spend $85 million per week on alcohol.
- 600 to 1000 New Zealanders die each year from alcohol related causes
- 1 in 5 adult drinkers have a potentially hazardous drinking pattern.
- New Zealand Police estimate that half of serious violent crimes are related to alcohol
- Nearly a third of the population think that it is OK to get drunk.
- 73% of adult drinking happens at home or someone else’s home.
- More than 575, 000 adult drinkers consume a large amount of alcohol at least monthly.
- Overall social costs $4.9 billion per annum (Berl 2009)
If you would like to be at the forefront of alcohol related harm action, contact [email protected] for more information.
Alcohol Action New Zealand: National teleconference once a month, 5.30-6.30pm on the second Monday of the month. Contact the national coordinator on [email protected]